Sunday, September 12, 2010

School is around the corner....

Thursday we went to Saylor's open house for preschool. She met her teachers and saw her classroom. She starts Wednesday. I am really excited and anxious for her....and me. I'll share pictures after Wednesay morning.

I saw this poem and maybe it's just the emotional momma in me talking, but I thought it was so sweet!
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
She started school this morning
And she seemed so very small.
As I walked there beside her
In the preschool hall.

And as she took her place beside
The others in the class,
I realized how all too soon
Those first few years can pass.

Remembering, I saw her as
She first learned how to walk.
The words that we alone made out
When she began to talk.

My eyes were blurred, so hastily
I brushed the tears away
Lest by some word or sign of mine
I mar her first big day.

Oh how I longed to stay with her
And keep her by the hand
To lead her through the places
That she couldn't understand.

And something closely kin to fear
Was mingled with my pride.
I knew she would no longer be
A baby by my side.

But she must have her chance to live,
To work her problems out,
The privilege to grow and learn is
What life is all about.

And I must share my little girl
With friends and work and play;
She's not a baby anymore-
She's in preschool today!
*************************************

Saylor is now also sleeping in a toddler bed!! She was still doing great in her crib, no escape attempts or anything--but we just decided it was time. She still calls me in there to get her out of bed when she wakes up. She hasn't quite figured out she can get out by herself and have a hay day yet. I hope she stays naive for long, long time!

Sleeping in her "big girl bed" and starting school this week--my baby is growing up so fast!

2 comments:

Diane said...

Time passes in a flash. Not to depress you but Saylor will be graduating before you know it. Of course when she starts suffering from "senior-itis" you will be ready for her to leave. :) Cherish every moment!

Meme said...

My eyes are tearing . . .sob, sob, letting go should begin now, they grow up much too fast and with each year it gets harder. However Sarah I know when you do let her go it will be into the right arms, yes the everlasting arms. Doing a good job Mom and Dad.