Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Bye Bye Binky

I've been waiting to write this until I was good and sure that we were OFFICIALLY done, and since I didn't give in when Saylor was up from 2-4:30 am crying the other night, I think I can say we are OFFICIALLY done, without a doubt!

See these?

They are no longer a necessity in our house!! Thank you, Lord.

I know this is probably not a blog worthy topic, but it matters to me and I want to be able to look back and remember when this took place and how truly easy it has been (for future reference for future children). Because I've been dreading getting rid of it since she was about 6 months old. I just put it off and put it off.
Saylor didn't even want a binky in the beginning. She gagged when we would put one in her mouth, but I forced the issue. I couldn't be her constant pacifier, I couldn't nurse her at every waking moment. Almost 15 months later, we are just now getting rid of it.

Saylor hasn't had a binky during the day for months, hasn't had it at night for several weeks, and has now not had it at naptime for about a week and a half! She isn't sleeping as long at naptime and hasn't been sleeping as late in the morning because she can't soothe herself back to sleep as well without a binky, but we are getting there. It has been so much easier than I thought it would be. It's been much harder on me than her--so many times I have just wanted to give in and give her the dang thing so I could get another hour or so of sleep. But, we haven't--we've all stayed strong!

No more sterilizing the darn things, no more making sure we have one before we leave the house, no more making sure Saylor isn't sharing her binky with Samson, no more searching under couch cushions for them, no more worring that I'm messing up my baby's teeth, no more reaching behind me in the car while trying to drive to search for the binky, no more dreading 'when am I going to get rid of this thing', NO MORE! It's done!

GOOD RIDDANCE, BINKY!

5 comments:

Spawns of Seaton said...

WAY TO GO MAMA!!! I know that's gotta be a hard thing, but way to stick with it though. I was the same way you were with Kennedy's bottle. I prepared myself and set aside a weekend to DC that bottle and to my surprise she did fine!!! I was fortunate with the pascifier due to kennedy's allergies and inability to breath through her nose during allergy season. Much props to ya though!!

The Ham Family said...

Yea for you! and Saylor!
Gay

The Bonjour Four said...

yay! So happy for you and saylor! I'm sure it was tough! Thank goodness Noah never wanted one.

Sturgy Fam said...

Bye Bye Binky:) I am sure I'll face this very tough day myself in the next year or two.

Julia Soler said...

Yup, I'm guilty of forcing the pacey on Jared too. Jaden and Kaelynn gave theirs up pretty easy, I really hope he does too. It was the sippy cup or "cuppy cuppy" we had a hard time getting Kaelynn to get rid of. At 3 1/2 she was still carrying it around empty, using it like a pacifier...I think it was because of a new baby in the house....that was rough to trash! But, good job mama!