Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Great Progress

I've debated and contemplated on how to write this post or to even write it at all, in fear of offending people, but here goes....
Although I may disagree with some political views of Barack Obama, I think that in a different sense, this election was a major victory for our country. And I know this is a personal issue for me because I AM married to a black man with whom I have a beautiful baby girl. And someday when I tell her that she can be anything she wants to be, I want her to truly believe and know that. I never want the color of her skin and people's judgment to hinder her dreams!! This is a little cliche, but Im going to quote him anyways because I desperately hope this for our country and it speaks to me now that I am a mother--Martin Luther King Jr. said "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." That is exactly what I want for my daughter, and last night I think we took a giant leap in that direction!
So please pray for our new president and our nation. And look at the bright side of this election--even if he is not who you voted for. I am amazed and proud of how far our country has come!!
May God Bless America

1 comment:

Jaden Berkeley and Mia said...

AMEN! I cried during his speech tues night and then cried again when I read your blog. I know the sense of pride and hope that I felt, so I can only imagine how your were feeling while looking at your beautiful daughter. I hope ya'll are enjoying your new house! Are you gonna post some pics of it soon?