Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Im steaming....

LITERALLY.
Last week our air conditioner quit cooling our house. It was still barely blowing air but in the afternoon it gets into the 80's in our house! It is miserable to say the least. I called last week and someone finally came out today to look at it.....just to tell me that everything was working fine, we have an old unit, and that is just as good as it's going to get in the middle of the summer in Oklahoma City. Are you kidding me? My poor child can't take a nap without waking up sopping wet from sweat! I can't run our dryer during the day, I have to wait till the middle of the night when it's not so hot. I also have to wait till really late to dry my hair so it doesn't just heat the house up that much more. That IS NOT ok with me! The repairman told me that we could buy a whole new unit, but the inside ductwork would have to be done too because there are new standards on ACs now, blah blah blah and all that would cost SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS and up! So, that's not gonna happen.
PERFECT. I'm mad, frustrated and really tired of sweating and I just can't imagine living like this all summer. Just had to vent.....I'm off to Walmart to get some more fans.

6 comments:

Diane said...

I have sympathy for you.

Craig and I had the same problem at our house in Spring. The upstairs unit ran from about 10 a.m. to midnight non stop and the upstairs wouldn't get below about 85. We finally installed an attic fan and made bigger soffet openings so more air could circulate through the attic. And get rid of the built up heat in the attic.

It really made a difference. The ac started cycling and the upstairs would actually cool to whatever temp we set it on. Usually we kept it at about 76 or 77.

It also made a big difference on our electric bill.

This time of year ac techs really make the money because they know people are desperate and they can charge you what they want.

Call your Realtor and see who she suggests you call. Alot of time they have smaller companies that they can recomend and will do the same job cheeper.

Sturgy Fam said...

YIKES! And I thought I was hot!You'll be in my thoughts.

Libby said...

oh my gosh how awful! poor baby and mommy! I HATE being hot so I can't imagine what you are going through. I wish I had some good advice... hmmm that sure seems like a lot of money! wow

The Bonjour Four said...

Actually, I was talking to Josh, and he suggested a window AC, like the ones here.

They run around $100 and up, but it's sure cheaper than $7,000. Josh's brother lives in Lubbock in a house without central air, and he said they really help a lot.

Hope this helps!

Sam and Mandy said...

That is seriously no fun!! I feel so bad for yall!
Buys lots of fans and maybe some ice while you're at it!

Renae said...

I know that can't be fun.
Well this somewhat happen to my family back last August, we had someone come out and they said no thing was wrong. But, even though I thought he was oh so wrong they were right to some extent. We ended up having to replace all the filters and my husband actually went outside and sprayed the a/c unit itself with the water hose. i don't know if that helped but a few weeks later i noticed a diffrence-but I just decided to blame it on this Texas heat.
But, maybe if you can get a second opinion from another company. Poor sweet baby though in the meantime:)